Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Impatient Gardener

I'm still waiting to hear from UW Bothell. I'm still waiting for the flowers on my pea vines to turn into peas. But I did spot a little baby fava bean emerging from a fava flower. So that's something.

I am not the most patient person on the planet. I kinda hate surprises. I come from a family that is religious about making Christmas lists -- so we know what to expect under the Christmas tree. One time, my friends in college tried to throw me a surprise party. They weren't so good at keeping it secret, and I figured it out way beforehand. Which was fine -- I hate surprises.

So much of gardening is an exercise in patience. No matter how often I go out and check for baby peas and baby favas, they'll emerge from the flowers when they're damn well ready to. Telling them "come out, come out, wherever you are" doesn't work.

I'd really like them to emerge so I can show you what I've grown, and so I can take them out and put in my tomatoes! I successfully hardened off the tomato plants, and they've been outside for a few days now, getting used to the weather before I plant them. One of them even has the beginnings of a little baby tomato. We'll see if it tastes any good!

Waiting, waiting, waiting. The worst part is that I know UW Bothell is already made a decision. And if I'm accepted, I know I will be getting an email towards the end of the week letting me know I've been accepted. So I should know within a couple of days. Sigh. I just want to know now.

Maybe gardening can teach me patience. Lord knows I need it. It's funny -- I'm really patient with my kids at the middle school, but I'm not so patient with myself. How is it that we can be patient with others more easily than with ourselves?

Anyway, it's almost finals week. One of the ways you can tell it's almost finals week with me is that I get injured more often. I think I get injured more when I get stressed out. Well, I ran into a door with my face on Monday. I'm not kidding. I was at work in the library, pushing a cart, and I opened a door too quickly, tripped over my cart, and hit the edge of the door with my face. Ouch. It's a little swollen, but not too bad.

Almost summer. It can't come soon enough. And then the rest of my life as a teacher begins.

C'mon Bothell!

No comments:

Post a Comment