Thursday, May 6, 2010

Triumphs Big and Small



So, I have some news. A few bits of news, actually.

First, on Monday, I found out that I passed my WEST-E exams for English and Social Studies. To implement what I refer to as the "Leave Every Child Behind Act," prospective teachers in Washington state must pass a series of exams in order to be "highly qualified" in the subject areas in which they want to teach. These exams were fairly difficult, as the state didn't really provide any review materials. To review, I basically read every "For Dummies" and "The Idiot's Guide to..." that pertained to English and Social Studies. Even though I felt like a dork reading "Economics for Dummies" in the gym, my efforts paid off, as I passed both exams!

The big news, however, came yesterday. I happened to check my email in the scant hour I had between class and the Mariners game, and found an email entitled "Application to the University of Washington College of Education." I thought this would be the email letting me know that my application to the UW's Special Education -- Learning Disabilities program was complete. And then I read this sentence:

"Congratulations! The UW College of Education faculty has recommended you to the Dean of the Graduate School for admission into the MEd program in the entering class of Fall 2010 for the following program: Learning Disabilities."

My jaw dropped. I punched the air. I screamed as loud as I could. I felt like Ken Griffey Jr at the bottom of all those Mariners after the team had won the ALDS in 1995.

I was so happy that I started to cry. I sat on my bed and wept, re-reading the congratulatory sentence over and over. I was in. A teaching program wanted me. The waiting is over. And all that pain, all that heartache, all of the agonizing and sleepless nights -- it was all over. Despite the rational protestations of my head, I'd followed my heart. That heart, so bruised and battered as of late, had steered me towards special education. It had made the right decision. It had led me from despair to triumph. I realized I could trust myself again.

When I told the high school students I volunteer with today that I was going to become a special ed teacher, they were thrilled. One of them said "I'm glad you want to work with students like me." Still others said that I am going to be a phenomenal teacher. It's going to be hard work, but it will be rewarding. I am a person who cannot bear "getting by." I need to be doing something I love. Over the past year, I've really come to love working with students with learning disabilities. To know that I'm going to spend the rest of my working career doing something I love brings me so much joy. I can't stop smiling.

Now for a smaller triumph. Tonight's meal only had four non-local ingredients! I made potato-leek soup with a backyard salad. The potatoes, leeks and sausage in the soup were all locally grown. The lettuce, arugula, spinach and radish in the salad came from my backyard. Over 80% of my meal was locally sourced! Hoorah!

My camera is working again, somewhat. As you can see from the pictures, my peas and fava beans are getting tall! My favas even have little flowers forming. I assume that they bloom, get pollinated by a friendly bumble bee, and become beans. My peas are not flowering yet, but they look taller every day.

My tomato plants are starting to get big, too! I changed the set-up somewhat after mass trans-pot-ation last weekend. I still need to buy a new light. The really tall tomato, a rainbow heirloom, could use its own light. It's huge! One of the tomatoes I bought at the Seattle Tilth Plant Sale last weekend is already producing some flowers. It's a mite early for tomatoes -- we'll see what happens there.

Life is good. I am joyful, skipping along at a happy medium. The mercury finally broke 60 today, and I ate dinner on my front porch, soaking in the sunlight. I feel like I'm right where I should be.

While preparing dinner this evening, I was listening to Josh Ritter's new album "So Runs the World Away." I put the last song on the album on repeat, singing along in full voice. The album is so new that I can't find a version of this song on Youtube -- but it's a really upbeat, cheery, triumphant number. The lyrics that got me this time are the following:

"I'm not afraid of the dark
We've been here before
Fallen on hard times, honey
We've fallen on swords
But if a long shadow
Falls across your heart
I'll be right here with you
I'm not afraid of the dark"

I'm not afraid of the dark. The long shadows that had fallen across my heart have lifted. The hard times are over. I know I can survive any hardship. I'm dancing into this brave new career -- being a special education teacher. I am surrounded by beautiful, wonderful, amazing friends, to whom I am daily thankful for love and support. I'm here, oh, I'm here. And this place -- this peace -- where I am, it's pretty damn incredible.

To quote Josh Ritter again,

"I am assured, I am assured yes
I am assured that peace will come to me
A peace that can surpass the speed
Of my understanding and my need"

Love to all my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment