Saturday, March 6, 2010

More sproutlings!





It has been absolutely gorgeous here lately in Seattle. The cherry trees are already beginning to blossom, and my pear tree is starting to form buds.On my walk home from the bus yesterday, I noticed that there were a ton of flowers blooming. And, as you can see from the pictures, my kale, Walla Walla sweets, and oregano definitely think it's spring.

Yesterday, I planted a second crop of radishes, chard, lettuce, fava beans, and peas. I put some kale in the ground too. I have a ton of kale right now, but I've never grown kale from seed, and I want to see what happens. So much of gardening is an experiment.

The indoor starts seem to be doing well. I transferred all the tomato seedlings to one flat, and have left the other one set up like a greenhouse. A few more tomatoes have sprouted in that flat. I'm a little perturbed that only one pepper has sprouted -- tomorrow is the 14th day since planting, and I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong. Are the peat pots too wet? Is my soil too cold? If you have any ideas, let me know. I don't think I can reuse the peat pots, so I'm planning on composting anything that didn't sprout by tomorrow evening, and putting some new plants in the mini-greenhouse.

I will need to start transplanting the tomatoes to something else, too. I think I'm going to get a small flat and yet another grow light. I'll make newspaper pots with a jelly jar, newspaper, and masking tape. Thank goodness I love doing this -- it's a lot of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment