Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dreaming of tomatoes...


I had a dream about being overrun with tomatoes last night. This could very well happen, as I started way too many tomato plants. I got a little tomato-happy when I was buying seeds, and bought at least ten varieties. And then, since you have to start more than one of each variety (just in case something goes wrong), I started at least 30 tomato plants. Most of them are healthy and growing away, leaving me with 25 tomato plants.

Yikes.

My house glows in the dark, too, from all the grow lights set up. It looks mighty suspicious from the outside. I'm hoping that my new roommate isn't asked any odd questions by the police while I'm gone next week. A glowing house does have its advantages, though. It's useful for giving directions when people are arriving after sunset. "Take a right on my street and look for the glowing house. That's me!"

I noticed some green fuzz growing on top of my raised bed. So I just boiled some water and put it in my watering can, along with some chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is apparently also a fungicide (like cinnamon, which I just sprayed on my garden), and will deter any more fungus from growing and killing my plants. Green fuzz is usually okay, but gray fuzz is a plant killer.

I built a trellis last weekend. Bought some stakes and string that can bear a "heavy load" (the load isn't marked, which is funny) from the hardware store, and set it up. I spaced the stakes out as evenly as I could along the back, where my peas are growing. I measured out some loops and secured them to the stakes via taut-line hitches. Once the peas get tall enough, I will start to train them to grow inside the support loops. Total cost -- less than $10. And I have one more stake and quite a bit more string!

Spent St. Patrick's Day meeting with people from our new P-Patch and talking about the garden. We will be having a dirt-moving party on Sunday, and after that, we are open for planting! It's exciting. I think I'm going to grow some things that require more space, like squashes and tomatoes. Yay!

One quick plug, and then I have to run. The Early Spring Plant Sale is at Magnusson Park this Saturday. The plant list is up at Seattle Tilth's website, www.seattletilth.org. I suggest getting there early (8 AM), before varieties sell out.

Off to go enjoy this lovely sunny day!

No comments:

Post a Comment